Search This Blog

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

SPEAK OUT

SPEAK OUT about domestic violence and the lasting effects it has on each life it touches. I'm inspired by the recent publicity of Rihanna's battery. Yes. Inspired. I'm inspired to write this blog. I'm inspired to SPEAK OUT myself. I'm inspired to educate others about this growing epidemic.

I am a survivor of domestic violence and as I read about Rihanna's injuries and the events leading up to, I know that it is a scene I am very familiar with. I also know that this could not have been the first incident. They aren't this bold the first time. I know how she feels today. I know the physical pain, the emotional pain, and the struggle she is now facing.

This is what I want others to learn from this:
I, me, Jenna, has lived a day in the life of Rihanna. This social problem is one that effects people in all walks of life. It discriminates against no one. Regardless of age, race, gender, status; domestic violence rears its ugly head.

My heart goes out to Rihanna. She is a young, beautiful, successful woman. She is on top of the world in the peak of her life. This is not something she should be facing. It's not anything ANYONE should go through. I hope she knows that she is not alone. I hope she knows this can't break her. It won't be long before she's back in the limelight and leaving him in the dust.

This is something that although it changes you for the rest of your life, it does not define you. People have questioned my character regarding this before. Asking why I stayed. Why I allowed it. How did I not see the signs?

The answers to these questions are irrelevent. Pointless. Unless you live the life, you won't understand it. But you should be understanding to the fact that anyone can fall into this trap.

If you know anyone in this situation or are living it yourself. Please know that you don't have to. There are people who will help. Like me. I will hold the hand of any sister through this. I'm out of my abusive marriage since 01.04.05 and happy that it's finally all in the past! I regularly attend support meetings because I know it takes as long to get over it as it does to get into it.

So, SPEAK OUT!! Let Rihanna's pain be a voice for us all. I'm thankful she was brave enough to SPEAK OUT. I hope the publicity of her story motivates millions of women to leave their abusers. God bless Rihanna and all other victims.

No comments: